Monday, April 6, 2009

Increase Admissions by Decreasing Admission?

I'm going to take this as an one more point in favor of my argument that museums (and zoos) should *not* be raising admission prices right now--that they should be keeping them affordable (and preferably on par with or even less than the cost of a movie). The Como Zoo is seeing increased attendance because people can't afford to go away on vacation, so they are taking "staycations." Also, because the Zoo accepts donations rather than charging an admission fee, people who are unemployed can afford to visit and take a break from their troubles.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you! I am a firm believer of having as much accessibility as possible by having lower admission rates. The Mark Twain House & Museum currently charges $14 per adult to tour the house. As much as I can tell my boss that I dislike that, he can turn around and show me that while our attendance is down, our revenue is up. The people who can afford it are still able to afford it, it seems. But I have talked him into doing some free or heavily discounted days! So I'm getting somewhere!

    ReplyDelete