Saturday, March 28, 2009

Save Bergamot Station!

Holy crap, how did this escape my notice until now--a day too late!! Bergamot Station, a unique area in Santa Monica filled with art galleries and home to the Santa Monica Museum of Art (not to mention a sweet little cafe where I sometimes like to get a breakfast burrito or a sandwich) is seriously being considered for use as a light rail maintenance facility? What?? Someone please tell me this is an April Fool's Day joke!

Now, I recognize that Bergamot Station began life as a trolley yard, so it makes a certain amount of sense, but as a home to the galleries, it has become an important part of the LA cultural landscape and I can't advocate removing that. If they have a plan for relocating the galleries of Bergamot Station, that might be okay, but simply disbanding it should not be an option.

On the plus side, at least we will finally be getting the ocean-to-Exposition Park light rail line that they have been talking about since before I even moved here (and when I did first move to SM I was working in Exposition Park...)

No comments:

Post a Comment